Stand up paddle board fishingThere's a new way for you to enjoy fishing -- it's called stand up paddle board fishing (SUP fishing) and its giving kayak fishing a run for its money. Over the past year, paddle board companies have taken the anglers world by storm by designing paddle boards specifically for fishing. The latest and greatest fishing paddle boards are coming equipped with fishing rod holders, front & rear bungees and scotty accessory mounts to attach bait trays, fish finders and anything else you need for your day out on the water. Though, this new SUP fishing trend raises the question— how does SUP fishing compare to kayak fishing?
SUP fishing vs kayak fishing
TransportationThere are many factors to consider when comparing SUP fishing to kayak fishing. First, you must consider the type of vehicle you drive. If you have a small vehicle and don’t live walking distance to a body of water, transporting a kayak would be nearly impossible. Transporting a SUP is lighter (less weight) and more convenient, especially with an inflatable SUP. Inflatable SUPs are super easy to transport, carry and travel with. They inflate to the normal size of a regular paddle board and deflate to the size of a rolled up sleeping bag. Going on vacation somewhere with amazing fishing? No problem. Pack your inflatable SUP with your luggage and fly with it. Epoxy SUPs are a little different. Strap an epoxy SUP to the top of any vehicle (size doesn’t matter) and you’ll be ready to cruise over to your favorite fishing spot.
Fishing capabilitiesThere are some major differences when comparing the capabilities of a fishing paddle board versus a fishing kayak. The first difference is that you stand on a SUP and sit in a kayak when fishing. Standing for extended periods of time sounds straining, but most fishing specific SUPs offer front and back bungees that are perfect for holding a cooler in place. A cooler is great for two things: 1) Holding frosty drinks and snacks 2) Acts as a seat when you get tired of standing. However, standing while fishing does have its advantages. Standing up while fishing gives you enough room to properly cast your rail and have a fantastic vantage point to see fish swimming around you – and hopefully catch something too! In terms of mobility, both paddle boards and kayaks provide excellent maneuverability (compared to boats) to quickly and easily reach spots where the fish are. However, paddle boards are a bit more agile than kayaks – there is more freedom of movement on the deck pad and also they are easier to turn. In addition, fishing paddle boards are quieter along the surface of the water so you can sneak up on your prey.
Price comparisonWhen comparing the price of a fishing paddle board and a fishing kayak, they end up being around the same price point.
- Fishing paddle boards: $800-$2,000
- Fishing kayaks: $700-$2,000
Which one is better? SUP fishing or kayak fishing
To answer this question depends on several factors. If you enjoy fishing in rougher waters like the ocean, a fishing kayak may be your best option. If you plan on doing most of your fishing in calmer waters like ponds, lakes and rivers, a fishing paddle board will be your best option due to freedom of movement, field of vision and comfort.
Our Fishing Paddle Boards
- Best-selling Switch features everything you need to kayak or paddle board.
- Pro Series boards the Pioneer Pro and Explorer Pro are the most rigid inflatables that easily converts from a SUP to sit-on-top-kayak with our ISLE-LINK system.
- Top-rated SUP for fishing the Sportsman has exceptional mobility to easily reach spots inaccessible by land or boat.
- Best all around SUP the Pioneer 2.0 is stable and lightweight, perfect for every type of activity.
- Crafted for our fitness and adventure-loving paddlers our Explorer 2.0 is extremely durable and functional for every water condition and activity.
- The largest SUP in our collection the Megalodon features a 54" and 56" width deck perfect for storage and hauling all your fishing gear.
- The most durable epoxy board we offer, the Outpost offers extra stability making it perfect for fishing.