Isle attended the 4th Annual Standup For the Cure in support of Susan G Komen. This event helps raise awareness and educate younger people about the importance of early cancer detection and what to do if they have no health insurance. All ages and paddlers were welcomed and the motto for the day was “Have Fun and Save Lives.” As noted on Komen OC’s web site, 25% of all funds received go towards Breast Cancer research and Komen is the largest supporter of research in the USA. The remaining 75% is for Breast Health Services for local women which means every $125 raised enables an uninsured woman to receive a breast exam which may save her life!
SEA OF PINK
As a yearly tradition with this event they release doves for all the people who lost their battle with cancer. The tradition starts with a Hawaiian blessing followed by a group of cancer survivors releasing the doves. After the sound of the Conch everyone congregated in the bay for the ceremonial parade around the bay.
THE RACES: ADVANCED 5K, INTERMEDIATE 2.5K AND TEAM RELAY RACE
Although this was a fun laid-back event there still was a competition with serious racers. Immediately following the Sea of Pink Paddle the horn blew and that commenced the 5K race which was two laps through the Newport harbor. For those who wanted a more relaxed course there was the option for the 2.5K race.
Our team rider Ikaika got first place in the 5K race. Although this wasn’t a timed race with the top athletes, it is still a test to the upcoming dedication that Ikaika has.
We had our Megalodon present which was taken over by the HanoHano Outrigger Club and they received first place in the 4 man paddle race.
As we said, this event was put on to raise money for uninsured women to get the correct resources. Something everyone gets excited for is the silent auction which gives everyone the opportunity to win great prizes. This was an amazing opportunity to bid on the latest SUP equipment and accessories that were donated by the sponsors. As seen here, we donated our Isle Women’s Inflatable SUP.
KONA BREWERY HAPPY HOUR
The weather was hot and beautiful so everyone was very excited for the Kona Brewery Happy Hour of beer & wine to start. Located right next to the reggae band they offered their new Castaway IPA and Big Wave Golden brew. In addition to delicious beer they also had full buffet with a choice of steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli or rice and fish tacos.
This is one of our favorite events of the year because it is all for a good cause and lots of fun. We’ll see you guys next year!