What You Need to Know About Fishing Paddle BoardsMore and more people are using their stand up paddle boards for SUP fishing. Fishing from a stand up paddle board is a new fishing method that many anglers alike are trying because of the several advantages SUP fishing offers. Since this new fishing trend has taken off, paddle board companies are designing SUPs specifically with fishing in mind. The best SUP for fishing is wider with a more stable platform and come with a plethora of features to help you catch more fish. Paddle boards are coming equipped with fishing rod holders, accessory mounts and bungee systems to carry everything you would need to support your angler needs. Besides the well-designed fishing SUPs, the pure functionality of fishing from a SUP can be more advantageous than fishing from land, a kayak, and even a boat. Below, we are going to discuss which stand up paddle boards are best for SUP fishing. The paddle boards discussed provide a solid range of price points and options for various experience levels. However, before we start reviewing the best fishing paddle boards, we are going to explain which SUP construction is best for SUP fishing.
Inflatables vs Epoxy Paddle Boards for SUP fishingInflatable paddle boards are generally better than epoxy paddle boards for SUP fishing. An inflatable SUP board is typically 6 inches thick whereas most epoxy paddle boards are only about 4 inches thick. This means that standing on an inflatable SUP will lift you higher up on the water than epoxy paddle boards. Standing higher above the water offers many benefits for SUP fishing.
- A thicker board will provide you with more stability when paddling, casting and navigating around your idle or anchored SUP effortlessly since your center of gravity is distributed over a larger base of support.
- Standing higher up on the water will give you a better field of vision of the fish swimming around you.
- The six-inch thickness will keep you and your gear high and dry on the water.
Benefits of fishing from an inflatable paddle board
- More stable when casting and navigating around your idle paddle board
- Extra thickness elevates you higher on the water giving you an excellent vantage point to see the open water and fish swimming around you
- Extra thickness will keep you and your fishing gear high and dry on the water
- Durable enough to drag along a rocky coastline and drop on the pavement
- When deflated, it rolls up to the size of a sleeping bag and fits into a backpack for easy transportation